Here are some tips for finding hostel jobs based on my experience hiring people for hostel work:

• Read the application instructions carefully, and follow them exactly.
  • If the post has contact information listed, use the direct contact information rather than asking questions in the forum. If you wait, someone may beat you to getting the job.
  • Write in complete sentences with correct spelling and grammar.
  • Have a CV ready. When you apply for a job, send your CV. If you wait, someone may beat you to the job.
When you get to your job, take your job seriously in that if you do a professional job, it will be easier to find your next hostel job... but don't take it so seriously that it creates politics in the work environment. :) Anyone else have other tips?
  • Comments
Anonymous's picture

limetime

11 years

Get to know about the place you're applying for the job. If it's a party hostel and you don't think you're that much of a fun person, look for the job elsewhere. If you feel the hostel is more chilled, and you are a party animal, maybe you won't like the job. Don't work somewhere you wouldn't stay as a guest!

Anonymous's picture

Josh Hostels

11 years

Don't work somewhere you wouldn't stay as a guest!

Good advice... :)

Anonymous's picture

jamesbarratt28

11 years

Hiya can anyone help me, ive been aplying for loads, i mean loads of jobs via private contact and replying to posts on here but nobody seems to be getting back to me. also can anyone help me with some mor good links for site like this, preferrably free sites. thanks
James

Anonymous's picture

Josh Hostels

11 years

If something isn't working, maybe try changing the method.

Below are some general tips that I recommend based on reviewing many job applications over the years. Not all of these may apply to your situation, but it's based on what I've seen from applicants in the past:

1) Be sure to write in complete sentences, with good grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Since the potential employers can't see you, you are being represented only by the appearance of your writing and photo. Have a friend proofread everything if necessary. This is the most common job hunting mistake that I see people make. Even forum posts should be written carefully, because employers are going to search around online to find as much about you as possible before they hire you remotely.

2) Make sure that you have a professional-looking CV, and include it in your introductory email. Put a clear photo on the resume. It should be a photo where you are smiling. Create a LinkedIn profile and fill it out well. Try to get a couple of recommendations from previous employers on your profile, if that is possible. If you can get a recommendation from your current employer, that is ideal. If you know anyone who has a job where they hire people, ask them if they could review your CV and application email to offer tips.

3) Search for yourself on Google, and make sure that any results that come up for your name have a professional look.

4) Read the application information very carefully more than once. Make sure to follow the instructions exactly. It's really surprising how many applicants don't do this. Employers put instructions in job applications in order to see if the applicant can follow instructions, so it's critical to follow them exactly.

Hostels are fun, laid-back environments, but it helps to be sure that every pre-employment interaction is highly-professional. If you follow those tips carefully, it should help.

Anonymous's picture

bt

11 years

hi,
one philosophy on finding hostel jobs is 'keep moving amigo'. go to a hostel see if they have work - usually they don't have time to advertise on a site like this. if they don't then move on to another one. and so-on.

about 20-30% hostels will have some need for a work exchange person. next step is to prove that you are a good employee. usually you'll start out cleaning. within a few weeks to months if you work hard, they'll need you at the front desk. good luck!

Related Pages